Tooth extraction is usually done when a tooth is severely decayed, damaged, or infected and cannot be restored with other dental treatments such as fillings, crowns, or root canals. Tooth extraction may also be necessary when overcrowding in the mouth or when a tooth is impacted and cannot emerge properly.
After the tooth extraction at Quest Dentistry, you will be given instructions on tooth extraction aftercare to promote healing and prevent complications.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare Instructions
It is essential to follow proper aftercare instructions to reduce the tooth extraction recovery time. Here are a few tips that should help you recover without any complications:
- Rest is an essential part of wisdom tooth extraction aftercare. Avoid strenuous physical activity or heavy lifting that could increase blood pressure and cause bleeding.
- Brush your teeth gently, avoiding the extraction site. Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater (1/2 teaspoonful of table salt in a cup of warm water) to help reduce swelling and prevent infection.
- Pain medications are also a big part of full mouth extraction aftercare. Take medications as prescribed by our dentist.
- It is best to avoid smoking and drinking alcohol for at least one day after the extraction.
- You can also apply an ice pack to the affected area for 10-20 minutes as an aftercare for tooth extraction.
- Attend follow-up appointments with our dentist to monitor healing and ensure proper wisdom tooth removal aftercare.
Please visit Quest Dentistry with questions or concerns regarding teeth extraction aftercare.